The Belize Sustainable Tourism Program (STP) is a response to the challenges that must be faced if Belize's tourism sector is to grow in a manner that is economically, environmentally and socially sustainable.
The intention is to strengthen the sector's contribution to the national economy by consolidating the overnight tourism market with investments and activities along three inter-related fronts:
- enhancing the tourism experience and resource sustainability at consolidated destinations subject to pressure;
- diversifying tourism products in emerging destinations for the overnight market segment; and
- strengthening tourism institutions for policy, destination planning and management.
The Program Components include:
- Investments in overnight tourism destinations in Belize including the Cayo district, Ambergris Caye, Placencia peninsula and Belize City,
- Institutional strengthening and capacity building for policy, destination planning and management
The project is being funded by the Government of Belize and the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) through a loan of US$13.322 million.